Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Contrast, Balance + Harmony

I came across this picture on Pinterest and was immediately drawn to it. It was an altered image of somewhere in my home state, Utah. I feel that this picture is the perfect example of contrast, balance and harmony. I find contrast in the empty, starry night with a heavy, mountain filled bottom. In the context of things, if this was to be a true to life picture, it would most likely be all hues of red. I think that the artist gave a perfect example of balance, but just by changing the colors of things. The asymmetry in this image is very appealing to the eye given the fact that each side of the image is filled with beautiful mountains. The textures, different hues of pink, the different shapes of the mountain tops and the shadows in the crevices create a harmony like none else. 

Because of the Gestalt theory, I will never be able to go back to the first time I sat upon a Utah mountain top and looked up at the stars in awe, but through design, that experience can be represented in different ways. Although I will never have that "first time" again, it is always meaningful to be reminded of that experience. 


No comments:

Post a Comment